Saturday 2 March 2024

 

Blue

Rectangular, dark blue, smooth almost silky. Lets call it Blue. Not at all pretty just solid and dependable on the outside. Inside Blue's bright face welcomes me with just the right expression, designed to generate just the right emotion. I know because I placed it there. 

I feel a mix of emotions; comforting, protective, excitement inducing, dependence. Sometimes when Blue calls I feel annoyed at his insistence and sometimes I feel relief or apprehension. It depends. Once in a while Blue is a bittersweet reminder of many special times, and an echo of many voices now gone forever. Over the years Blue has revealed a lot to me about myself and the people that are dear to me. However protective I am of Blue, I feel a need to share her with my children on occasion because I refuse to make her more important to me than they are. 

In actual fact Blue offers too much. On the face of it she seems too giving, too selfless, but she really isn't. Her pound of flesh is exacted in much the same way as the fruit laden tree in the garden of Eden, so we must control ourselves lest she gets the best of us. 

You have a Blue too. We almost all do.






3 comments:

  1. Your description of Blue is so vivid; forming clear images in the mind and bringing her to life. Beautifully crafted piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words here remind me of the picture book Blue, which tells the history of the color blue and how it was such an expensive color and so treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding the Blue we have and our ability to control it.

    ReplyDelete