Monday 4 March 2019

Being, not Doing


Screen Shot 2017-12-02 at 6.09.23 AM

Today has been quiet. A gem of a day. I’ve had myself and my thoughts only because I had no power for several hours on account of a fault on the main line. So no music, no TV, no laptop and phone (which I did not charge overnight) and horror of horrors; no internet service! So what did I do today, the first day of our spring break? I read; and dozed; and cooked, and baked and stared at lizards and the blue sky. I listened to twittering birds, counted 100 breaths and daydreamed. 
Best of all, I did all of this with my fourteen year old son who had no idea what to do with himself. The daydreaming part was hilarious because he kept asking what I was doing, and I told him to just stare with me. I told him we had to learn how to just ‘be’. He thought I’d lost my mind.

All in all, we had a magical day of not really doing anything.


4 comments:

  1. This sounds so beautiful and peaceful and a memory your 14 year old will one day cherish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were "forced" into not doing. Blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I told him to just stare with me," that is so special. Something good came out of the situation. I smiled when I read how you "stared at the lizard and the blue sky."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked all the "ands". Read and baked and cooked and...it emphasised just how much you accomplished by doing nothing. Also, imagining Agya "just staring" with you is priceless, pretty sure he was probably staring at you with a wry look. 😂

    ReplyDelete