Monday 19 March 2018

Certainly Uncertain


So today was one of those days. One of those days when I realize I know nothing, and when I learn a whole lot about myself in the process. I surprised myself again. No, scratch that. I shocked myself. Today I was reminded of how grey life is. Nothing is certain, and when we are confronted with 'limit situations', our response can be even counterintuitive. I've learned today that many things in life cannot be explained away tritely.
The actual situation that brought this on doesn't matter, because it isn't really about that. It is about what I do in response to it. The me that comes through from it...that is my story.

In a strange way I've always known that conventional wisdom isn't often wise at all. When we think we know, we really know nothing at all. I am humbled by life's mysteries, so I give in to them. After berating myself and mourning the loss of my certainties, I give in because somehow, deep down I know even this was meant to be. This unveiling of the me that I am. But I let faith carry me on, because I also know that things will turn out the way they must.

As Richard Rohr says, the opposite of faith isn't doubt, it is certainty...and right now, I am at my uncertain best.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. Hopefully in time things will become more certain.

    ReplyDelete