Sunday 25 March 2018

Heart and Mind



I spoke to a friend of mine who has been struggling for months over a personal issue that she can’t seem to resolve. I have tried to support her for sometime now, but I soon realized that I was playing the wrong role. She needed me to be a sounding board, not a therapist.


Through my conversations with her I realized a phenomenon I’ve only ever read about in novels but never actually experienced. The mind and the heart are often not in sync. The mind reasons and analyzes so it has a good hold on reality, however the heart does not see things the way the mind does. It has a ‘mind’ of it’s own. How often isn’t this played out in matters of love? It seems the fulfillment of an immediate need too often triumphs over reason. The interesting thing I’m discovering is that the heart has to follow it’s course…even when it leads to destruction. The truth is that this so-called destruction is a necessary suffering, therefore the heart really leads us right where we must go.


1 comment:

  1. "The mind and the heart are often not in sync." This really leaves your reader thinking. I quite agree with the statement, though.

    ReplyDelete