Friday 30 March 2018

The Field



“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase “each other”
doesn’t make any sense.

An excerpt from 'A Great Wagon', by Rumi

That field. That wide expanse that holds all ambiguities and tensions. You challenge everything I know about myself. Actually, you confirm what I’m afraid to admit about myself. You fill me and surround me, so you know me inside out. Even when I lie to myself I can’t lie to you. You are my secret self. The self I am free to be, and yet the self I am afraid to be.

You are there as a constant reminder, a humbling presence that at once confuses and clarifies. You are an opening, a metaphor, a paradox, a lesson, an awakening, because you are the ground that holds the tree that bears the fruit of my knowledge of good and evil. The fruit may ripen and fall, but even then, you embrace it all.

The sooner I accept that I am one with you and with all things, the sooner I will be worthy of the very flesh I inhabit, and the world I have been gifted with.

1 comment:

  1. I started off comparing the field to life or the world. I love the connection you've made with this big metaphor. I have never thought of the field like that. Your writing makes me think Rajikins, thank you.

    ReplyDelete