Friday 16 March 2018

Observations


 Street vendors…ladies balancing large trays filled with all sorts of wares atop their heads; bananas, mushrooms, frozen yoghurt, peanuts and bread. Young men holding soccer boots, dog chains and frozen drinks for sale; eyes pleading with yours to make just one purchase. If you so much as make eye contact, they’ll sprint alongside your moving car for as long as they can in the hope you’ll buy something, however small. 
I always wonder how much money they make at the end of each day, to make putting their lives at risk like this worthwhile. I always struggle with the thought; to buy or not to buy?



2 comments:

  1. This is so vivid. This phrase,"eyes pleading with yours to make just one purchase," is especially true. The hawkers leave you feeling a little guilty for not buying anything from them. I also wish they had other opportunities 'to make a living,' literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most fascinating parts of Accra for me. I love the specificity with which you name each item for sale. Try being an obroni at these intersection...every hawker is hoping to snag a high price sale from me!

    ReplyDelete